Comment on Main Page Edit
Hey. I've just overhauled the home page to fit the featured article, improvement hub, news, and polls. I think that's enough for now. Everything can now be modified in their respective templates. If there's any other criteria or have any feedback, let me know here. Also there's a lot to learn here. Like how the Blog posts work, how the polls work, how the featured article and improvement hub works, and the like. Thanks!
(talk) 13:40, February 15, 2015 (UTC)
- Oh, and I also need someone who can give me the hi-res logo for Cookie Run Wiki. I just took it from the site. It doesn't give me a higher resolution image (if available), so I'll just use that for placeholder at the moment.
(talk) 13:42, February 15, 2015 (UTC)
Feedback on Main Page Edit
It seems that nobody is willing to give some critique or feedback, so here's mine. In short, I think the page looks quite messy, but it's not something that we can fix in the templates directly, but rather how they are set up on the page as a whole. Here's some suggestions:
- We have too many page elements, consider removing some unimportant ones, or divide the content into sections for increased readability.
- We have some elements that grow horizontally and some that grow vertically - this means that it's difficult to know the correct read order for the page.
- Be more consistent with the widths - as it is now, I think we are centering the elements, but one row is usually already filled up and this means we get inconsistent left and right margins. It would be better to increase the spacing between the elements instead, so that the edges stay the same.
- Bug on overflowing right elements - see Activity Feed, the text in Chrome is cut off
- Consider making the background more transparent or reduce the number of images shown - this will make the images in the content "pop out" more.
Here's a front page that I think looks really great - it's uncluttered, the elements are color coded for easier reading and it has a few background images at the top: 
- Yup. I am aware of the problem. In fact, I'm thinking about redesigning again some time in the future. I used the old format my old wiki used to have 4 years ago in this wiki, and I believe it's pretty much outdated right now. Thanks for the feedback :D Definitely going to fix that one out. (talk) 16:28, August 4, 2015 (UTC)
- Thanks for your feedback, Pgrobban! We have to confess both of our business lately has been significantly drawing admins off the discussion. But hopefully in the near future we can find a better homepage for all. We both have also planned to change the background/layout and hi-res Cookie Run Wiki logo in the future other than just homepage overhaul. 17:44, August 4, 2015 (UTC)
Feedback on Website Redesign Edit
Wow! Certainly a lot better now, thanks for listening :) Some minor things to be fixed:
- Need to add padding to the Featured Article section.
- Right margins on lists
- Personally I don't like centering in the right sections, although this is up to you if you want to keep it.
- "What is Cookie Run?" could be merged with the welcome text
- "Cookie Run's current time" also appears on the bottom of the page. I think the bottom one could be removed.
- Thanks for the feedback :D This took me four hours including adding new templates and tampering with new images (the circle icon for portals). This pretty much takes up my whole day lol.
- What I did today is to release all the content that was once a template to the main page itself. That way the boxes magically attaches to each other, which reduces the empty space. Also I tried to reposition some introductory boxes such as maintop and about, but still retains its description to appeal on new visitors and players who have no idea about the game.
- I also fixed the news section. Turns out you can combine both into one and divide the column inside, so that's exactly what I did, increasing the neatness.
- Next, I removed some of the thing that is least seen on, which is the Improvement Hub and Recent Wiki Activity. Improvement Hub hasn't been updated for quite some time, and we always see it on the separate page for viewing Recent Wiki Activity.
- I wanted to add portals for new and frequent visitors to view and explore, so I took away the classic About box that has been there for years lol, and made icons so it looks more pretty :) It's still far from perfect though, as I'm exploring more as to what other category we should put there.
- Last but not least, I finally understand what a padding is, so I inserted it into what you said on the Featured Article and about box. I agree, centering almost everything is not that great, but without paddings, things are just as ugly without centers.
- Now for some part that I'm still struggling to fix. Colors take too much time for me, as I have to match the color with the design. For this theme, I don't think I can explore much with colors. I also am unable to remove the clock at the bottom, as removing it will automatically place the disclaimer just at the bottom of the poll box, despite the fact that I have already put endcolumn template in-between them.
- The point is, the new and refreshed home page is to make readability better, cleaner interface, and appeal to new and frequent visitors alike. Hope it really did come as I hoped for :)
(talk) 08:50, August 13, 2015 (UTC)
I hope we can get some input from a web designer, I'm just a developer so I can only give some pointers. Understanding the relaitonship between margin, padding and borders is important - if you right click on an element and select "Inspect element", you will get access to the developer tools. Here you can see the boxes with the current values, and you can change them and test directly in the browser before applying the changes in the code:
I think it would be possible if you have access to the code, you can move that div outside the parent div, or apply a clearfix.
As for colors, I don't think it's necessary to change them. However, now we're being inconsistent with the article pages so perhaps they should have a white background too? Once again, we should ask a designer for the best solution here.
- Well, I surrender on layout codings LOL :p That's a great overhaul, especially on Portals. However, I'm wondering if the section headers, such as Game News, Helping Out, etc can be replaced with a picture. I'm thinking it looks like a bar showing a cookie/pet's head with a text after his/her eye. This is one example, without text: https://scontent-sin1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11403263_10206968038420747_1386422051518707773_n.jpg 09:25, August 13, 2015 (UTC)
- Oh wow. That was exactly the code from the Heading template that I used. Hahaha. Yeah I guess I could use the inspect element feature in Chrome. But with all my limited knowledge of wiki editing, I'm pretty much satisfied with today's work :D My next agenda is probably to redesign all the articles I claim to be portals.
- Now, to think how to integrate the "Ongoing Event" feature with the "Active Event" in the Events article... (talk) 12:47, August 13, 2015 (UTC)
How do you restart your Cookie Run LINE data?